Pioneer Catholic settlers in the Beloit area had a deep concern for the education of their children. In the fall of 1879 with 15 students, St. John’s Catholic School was founded in a small one room building. By 1900, enrollment reached 140 students thus creating a need for a larger more structured school building. Local farmers quarried and hauled stone and sand to the present site. A German craftsman supervised construction of the present building that was completed in 1914.
The high school started in 1920 and occupied the same building until the present high school was built in 1952.
The City of Beloit, the county seat of Mitchell County, is located in the Solomon River Valley in North Central Kansas. It is in the heart of the Smoky Hills in the land of the Kansas Post Rock. Beloit is the gateway to beautiful Waconda Lake, also known as Glen Elder Reservoir. The area offers numerous opportunities for recreational and municipal services.
The stakeholders of St. John’s Catholic Schools expect a rigorous and balanced academic program for our students while instilling the Christian and Catholic values necessary for spiritual and religious formation. We want to teach our children about Jesus, the value of virtue and character, and the beauty of the church. In addition, St. John’s has very strong extracurricular programs that develop a well-rounded student. St. John’s students have a special opportunity to experience a devotion to a religious value-based education that will prepare them for their lives after St. Johns.
Today, the parish and families still hold the same passion to educate and form their children and grandchildren in the Catholic faith while giving them a complete and competitive education.
Our mission in action…
Our foremost goal is to give our students the tools to succeed in secular life and to live their Catholic faith on a daily basis.
How it is implemented…
– Each day begins with prayer and prayer is integrated throughout the entire school day
– Special emphasis on Eucharistic Adoration, Reconciliation, Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy and Social Justice
– Roman Catholic philosophy incorporated throughout each curriculum area
What sets us apart…
St. John’s is a private Pre-K through 12th grade system, operated by St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Beloit, Kansas. St. John’s aspires to become a Catholic school that is a model for our country. This is a very difficult goal to hold in the face of the myriad of challenges our society presents, including secularism, rural population, and finances. However, St. John’s has many assets that set it apart from most schools. Here are a few interesting facts:
As a school…
-St. John’s Parish has provided continuous education since 1879
– There is only one parish supporting the school
– St. John’s Parish is made up of close to 700 families
– High school religion classes implement morality, history, scripture, and theology of the body
– Fully accredited in the State of Kansas and by the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement for academic excellence
– Students may choose to participate in various activities to develop qualities of leadership, teamwork and service including: speech and drama, band and music
– Well-rounded physical education and competitive sports programs such as volleyball, football, basketball, track, and golf
As a town…
– Located in North Central Kansas; a small but centrally located town
– Beloit is the smallest town in Kansas supporting a Pre-K through 12th grade Catholic education program
– Population of about 4,000 in town
– Peace and security of small community
As a way of life…
– Be able to walk to church and school
– Family-oriented and faith-filled community
– Authentic care for neighbors
– The environment of the church and school encompasses the whole family